3 Freestyle Points 213 caloriesTOTAL TIME:60 minutes
This simple savory stuffed acorn squash is easy to make and filled with the wonderful flavors of Fall. The stuffing is made with farro, chicken sausage, mushrooms, celery, onions and sage – you’ll love this!
- 3 acorn squash, cut in half, seeds and fibers removed
- olive oil spray (I used my mister)
- salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup uncooked pearled farro, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 2 links raw sweet Italian chicken sausage
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 large white onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 4 oz sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 sage leaves, chopped
- parsley, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mist the cut side of squash with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place in a baking dish and add 1/4 cup water to the bottom of the pan.
- Cover and bake 50 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 10 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool before serving.
- Meanwhile, cook farro in chicken broth according to package directions.
- While the farro is cooking, in a large saute pan cook chicken sausage on medium heat, breaking up the meat into small pieces as it cooks until the sausage is cooked through and is browned. Set aside on a dish.
- Add olive oil to the pan and add the onion, sauté 1 minute, add the celery, salt and pepper to taste; cook until celery is soft, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and sage to the pan, more salt and pepper if needed and cook, stirring 5 minutes, then cook covered for 2 minutes, or until the mushrooms have released their juice and are cooked through. Return the cooled sausage and the cooked farro to the sauté pan and mix well.
- Divide the farro stuffing evenly between the roasted acorn squash, garnish with parsley and serve.
Yield: 6 servings, Serving Size: 1/2 squash & 1/2 cup stuffing
- Amount Per Serving:
- Freestyle Points: 3
- Points +: 5
- Calories: 213 calories
- Total Fat: 5g
- Saturated Fat: g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 272mg
- Carbohydrates: 37g
- Fiber: 6g
- Sugar: 0g
- Protein: 10g