- 3 1/2 ripe medium bananas, mashed
- 1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 1/4 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp butter, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp confectioners sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325°. Line a muffin tin with 12 liners.
- In a large mixing bowl cream butter and sugar with an electric mixer.
- Add egg whites, bananas, apple sauce, vanilla, and beat at medium speed until thick. Scrape down sides of the bowl.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt with a wire whisk.
- Add flour mixture to bananas, then blend at low speed until combined; do not over mix.
- Fold in chocolate chips and pour batter into muffin tins.
- Bake on the center rack for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- If making the glaze, combine confectioner’s sugar and 1/4 to 1/2 tsp water to make a glaze. Drizzle over each muffin.
Yield: 12 servings, Serving Size: 1 muffin
- Amount Per Serving:
- Freestyle Points: 6
- Points +: 5
- Calories: 170.5 calories
- Total Fat: 5.5g
- Saturated Fat: g
- Cholesterol: mg
- Sodium: 41.5mg
- Carbohydrates: 32g
- Fiber: 2g
- Sugar: 16g
- Protein: 41.5g