- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher or sea salt
- 6 ounces dry whole grain pasta (broken spaghetti or macaroni), or 3 cups cooked
- 1 (16 ounce) jar salsa, no-sugar added
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped cilantro, plus more for garnish
- 2 cups Mexican style shredded cheese, low-fat (optional cheddar)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large skillet over medium heat cook ground turkey and onion, breaking up turkey as it cooks. Once turkey is cooked and there’s no more pink color, drain and add to a large mixing bowl.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil, add 1 teaspoon salt, then add pasta. Cook pasta just until al dente, drain.
- Add to the meat and onions, chili powder, cumin, pepper, and cilantro, stir to combine. Add remaining ingredients and toss with a large spoon until combined. Spoon into a 9 x 13-inch casserole pan. Cover loosely with foil and bake for 30 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and casserole is heat through.
Yields: 12 servings
Total Fat: 17g
Saturated Fat: 9g
Trans Fat: 0g
SmartPoints value : 9