For the meatballs:
- 1 pound 93% lean ground turkey
- 1/3 cup seasoned breadcrumbs (Can substitute gluten-free breadcrumbs)
- 3 tbsp grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 clove crushed garlic
- 1 tbsp fresh minced parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced San Marzano tomatoes, I used Tuttorosso
- 4 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 4 torn basil leaves, plus optional more for garnish
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 ounces ditalini pasta (1 cup)* (wheat or gluten-free)
- 1 cup zucchini, diced small
- Parmesan rind, optional
- Grated parmesan cheese, optional for serving
- In a medium bowl combine turkey, breadcrumbs, pecorino, egg, garlic, parsley and salt and gently mix to combine.
- Form into 30 meatballs, about 1 heaping tablespoon each.
- Press saute in the Instant Pot and spray with oil.
- Brown the meatballs in 2 to 3 batches, spraying each time. Set aside on a dish and clean the pot.
- Heat the oil and add the onion, celery, carrots and garlic, cook until soft, about 4 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, Parmesan rind, basil, bay leaves and stir, return the meatballs to the pot.
- Add the chicken broth, cover and cook high pressure 15 minutes.
- Quick release and open the lid, add the pasta and zucchini and cook 4 minute more, quick release so the pasta doesn’t overcook.
- Serve with grated cheese if desired and basil.
Yield: 6 servings, Serving Size: 1 2/3 cups
- Amount Per Serving:
- Freestyle Points: 7
- Points +: 8
- Calories: 318 calories
- Total Fat: 8.5g
- Saturated Fat: 2.5g
- Cholesterol: 87mg
- Sodium: 1003mg
- Carbohydrates: 36.5g
- Fiber: 2.5g
- Sugar: 7.5g
- Protein: 22g